UNFPA commends Sri Lanka on developing robust national evaluation capacities
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) congratulated Sri Lanka on its achievements in developing robust national evaluation capacities, at the policy, institutional, and professional levels.
This was stated when Sri Lankan President Ranil Wickremesinghe met with a delegation of UNFPA officials, including Mr Marco Segone, Director of the Evaluation Office of the United Nations Population Fund, at the Presidential Secretariat yesterday (March 27).
The UNFPA delegation commended President Wickremesinghe’s leadership in promoting evaluation, particularly in the public sector, which they said will play a significant role in addressing the challenges faced by Sri Lanka.
UNFPA representatives acknowledged Sri Lanka’s significant progress in developing strong national evaluation capabilities compared to other nations. As a result, President Ranil Wickremesinghe announced that a bill related to this matter would be presented to parliament for approval.
UNFPA representatives praised President Wickremesinghe’s leadership in approving the national policy on gender equality and women’s empowerment, recognizing it as a crucial step towards ensuring sexual and reproductive health and rights in Sri Lanka.
The visiting UNFPA delegation expressed their commitment to supporting the development of national evaluation capacity in the country, recognizing its importance in promoting accountability and good governance to achieve the sustainable development goals, particularly in the areas of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Member of Parliament Mr. Kabir Hashim, National Evaluation Capacity Development Expert Mr. Asela Kalugampitiya and a group of officials from the Evaluation Office of the United Nations Population Fund were among those who participated in this event.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023