Joseph Michael Perera passes away
Joseph Michael Perera, 17th Speaker of Sri Lankan Parliament has passed away at the age of 81.
He passed away at his residence in Ja-Ela this afternoon (March 28).
The former Gampaha district Member of Parliament was born on September 15, 1941, and served as the 17th Speaker of Parliament from December 2001 to February 2004.
1964 – 1967 : Elected Member of the Ja-Ela Urban Council.
1967 – 1970 : Appointed Vice Chairman of the Ja-Ela Urban Council.
1970 – 1971 : Appointed Chairman of the Ja-Ela Urban Council.
1971 – 1976 : Chief Organiser of the Opposition (U. N. P.).
1976 – 1977 : Elected Member of Parliament to the First National State Assembly.
1977 – 1978 : Elected Member of Parliament to the Second National State Assembly.
1978 – 1988 : Elected Member of Parliament to the First Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023