There is no lacuna or provision in the 19th Amendment and its application for legal arguments to be made that former President Mahinda Rajapaksa is eligible to contest in the upcoming 2019 presidential election, a top constitutional expert said, amid frantic attempts by the Joint Opposition to push for a third term for the controversial ex-President.
Exactly three year ago, the people went to the polls to reaffirm the mandate given to the two major political forces in the country to work together. President Maithripala Sirisena who won the Presidential Election in January 2015 had already appointed UNP Leader Ranil Wickremesinghe as Prime Minister.
Sinhala Chat Room
Book your Hotel Online – Find Sri Lanka Hotels
Sri Lanka Events
- Zama Abesiri: US geopolitical motives are no more honorable than that of the Chinese. Until recently the US had the...
- Ranjith: Fiery Fernando. Debt of this country started with that basted J R Jayawardana. You are about the previous...
- Indra: Wait till the election day comes. Isn’t that few minutes ago I read that the Train fare going up?
- Fiery Fernando: Ranjith, At least, he is honest in saying the country was debt ridden and is now trying to recover....
- Sinhala-Veeraya: No one other than the sitting President can seek advice from the SC regarding this issue. The SC...