Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China
Sri Lanka’s Tharushi Karunarathna won the GOLD medal in the Women’s 800m sprint at the 19th Asian Games in Hangzhou, China.
The 19-year-old clocked a time of 2.03.20 minutes to clinch the Gold medal.
Incidentally, this is Sri Lanka’s first medal in the 800m at an Asian Games and Sri Lanka’s first ever Gold Medal in athletics at the Asian Games after 2002.
India won Silver, and China claimed the Bronze medal.
Meanwhile, Sri Lanka team secured the bronze medal in the Women’s 4 x 400m relay event at the 2023 Asian Games being held in Hangzhou, China, a short while ago.
The four Sri Lankan sprinters clocked a time of 3:30:88 minutes, setting a new national record in the event.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023