COURT DIRECTS CABRAAL TO SUBMIT REPORT
The Colombo Fort Magistrate yesterday issued an order directing former Central Bank Governor Ajith Nivard Cabraal to submit a report in court within seven days. This is pertaining to the financial transactions regarding Sri Lanka’s bid to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games (CWG).
Magistrate Lanka Jayaratne made this order pursuant to a request made by FCID conducting investigations into the alleged irregularities that have taken place in the failed bidding process.
It was revealed that over Rs. 600 million funds deposited in a current account by CWG Hambantota 2018 Pvt. Ltd. for the purpose of bidding to host the Commonwealth Games in Hambantota had been spent without any trace of transactions.
The Financial Director of CWG Hambantota 2018 Pvt. Ltd. Mahinda Fernando was also ordered to submit a report in this regard within seven days.
The bidding process for the 2018 Commonwealth Games began on March 31, 2010.
Two bids for the 2018 Commonwealth Games were submitted. Gold Coast and Hambantota in Sri Lanka were the two bidding cities. On November 11, 2011, Gold Coast won the bid to host the Commonwealth Games.
(Source: Daily News – By Lakmal Sooriyagoda)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy promotes 1,877 personnel on its 73rd anniversary December 9, 2023