Sri Lanka beats England by nine wickets – Cricket World Cup 2015
Sri Lanka has coasted home to an emphatic nine-wicket win against England, chasing down 310 with ease in Wellington.
Kumar Sangakkara (117 not out off 86 balls) and Lahiru Thirimanne (139 not out) both notched centuries in a 200-run partnership as Sri Lanka strengthened its hold on second place in Pool A.
England looked to have made a decent contest when Joe Root (121) anchored his team to 6 for 309, but the bowling attack proved listless against the canny Sri Lankans, contriving to spill a host of catching opportunities in the process.
Sri Lanka cruised home with 16 balls to spare.
England remains second-bottom in Pool A after four games, just above winless Scotland.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023