Navy sailor arrested for abducting and killing 3 youths
A sailor attached to the Kankesanthurai Naval camp was arrested by the CID today over the abduction and disappearance of 11 civilians in Colombo during the period of 2008 and 2009.
Police Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekera said the 33-year-old suspect was arrested on charges of killing three out of 11 civilians.
On 13th of August 2018, the CID had arrested Hettiarachchi Mudiyanselage Chandana Prasad Hettiarachchi (alias’Navy Sampath’) in connection with this incident.
Subsequently, Chief of Defense Staff Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne was accused of aiding and abetting ‘Navy Sampath’, the main suspect of the incident.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023