President Rajapaksa inaugurates the Nagamu Purawara programme
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma – (Pix By: Sudath Silva)
“Nagamu Purawara”, a special programme to enhance infrastructure facilities of the low income housing schemes in the Colombo City area is launched under the patronage of the President Mahinda Rajapaksa in the early hours of Sunday on 21st of February.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa made a surprise visit to the 60 (Hete) watta, Muhandiram Road this morning to inspected the area with Minister Geethanjana Gunawardena, secretary to the President Mr Lalith Weeratunga, Special Commissioner of the Colombo municipal Council Mr Omar Kami and Mr Azath Sali. President Rajapaksa is seen here inspecting the area while talking to the locals.
The Nagamu Purawara (Lets develop City), Urban Housing Project to develop housing complexes with limited facilities, shanties (slums) and estate sector housing in Colombo area is funded by Asian Development Bank and Japanese Government. 354 housing complexes located in the Colombo City and in the estate sector will be developed under the 1st phase of the rapid infrastructure development programme. The programme will be kicked off at the Nawagampura Housing Complex, Orugodawatta and Muhandiram Road in Kollupitiya.
Addressing the weekly cabinet briefing which was held at Government Information Centre on 18th February, (the) Minister of Transport Dullas Alahapperuma said while sanitary facilities and other amenities will be developed through this programme, access routes, waste water disposal, electricity and drinking water facilities will also be improved.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023