Shashi on the run?
Former minister Wimal Weerawansa’s wife Shashi Weerawansa who is alleged to have obtained diplomatic and general passports by submitting birth certificate with forged names and dates of birth, has reportedly fled her home according to the CID team assigned to arrest her said.
The special CID team which arrived at her residence in Kaduwela said they could not find her there. The team had also searched several other houses believed to be possible hideouts according to the police.
At the meeting held in Nugegoda on February 18 Wimal Weerawansa questioned why the arrest of her wife was delaying and challenged that they were awaiting the police. A senior police officer said he might have said so knowing her wife’s plan to escape.
He said the police would however take Sashi Weerawansa into custody within the next few days.
Police said she had obtained a general passport in May last year furnishing an application with the name of Sirja Uyanthi Weerawansa and date of birth as 01.02.1967 whereas she has given the name as Randunu Mudiyanselage Shehasa Udayanthi and the date of birth as 03.02.1971 in the application she submitted to obtain the diplomatic passport, police said.
Seven police teams have been deployed in Kandy , Gampaha and Colombo to search and arrest Sashi Weerawansa police said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka lacks commitment and discipline – Murali December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe meets Bill Gates December 3, 2023
- Indian envoy visits Sri Lanka’s north, underscores India’s commitment to country December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President at COP28 urges bold action in the face of alarming climate predictions December 2, 2023
- Diana Gamage, Sujith Perera and Rohana Bandara banned from Parliament December 2, 2023