Sri Lanka seeks return of nearly 100 overseas drug and underworld suspects

Sri Lanka Police are taking steps to bring back nearly 100 suspects living overseas, including 73 people wanted under international Red Notices over drug trafficking and underworld activities, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Attorney-at-Law Priyantha Weerasooriya said.
The IGP said the ongoing programme to suppress drug trafficking and organised underworld crime in Sri Lanka has also received special recognition from foreign diplomatic missions.
He made the remarks to the media on August 15, 2026, after visiting the Chief Prelates of the Malwathu and Asgiri Chapters and receiving their blessings.
Speaking about threats linked to the operations, the IGP said he was not afraid.
“I am not afraid of anyone’s threats. If I were afraid, I would not be in the Police. I joined the Police knowing about these things and being prepared to face everything,” he said.
The IGP said clashes between underworld figures attempting to demonstrate their power had occurred in the past when authorities intensified operations against organised crime.
However, he said Police had brought the situation under control to a considerable extent by arresting wanted suspects and taking legal action against them.
According to the IGP, around 90% of those involved in shooting incidents, including people who aided and abetted such crimes, have been arrested and subjected to legal action.
He said ongoing operations against drugs and underworld crime had caused concern among those involved in such activities.
The IGP also highlighted how drug trafficking had spread to lower levels of society, with some drug users becoming sellers themselves.
He explained that a person addicted to drugs may sell another 10 packets to obtain the drugs needed for personal use, resulting in that person becoming both a drug user and a trafficker.
Responding to allegations that some people arrested for drug use were being produced before courts on drug-trafficking charges, the IGP said this situation should be understood in that context.
However, he acknowledged that shortcomings or mistakes could occur in some cases and said Police officers had been instructed not to misuse their legal powers unnecessarily.
He said any complaint against a police officer over such misconduct would be properly examined and investigated. If an allegation was proven, disciplinary and legal action would be taken, he said, adding that such action had already been taken in some cases.
The IGP also rejected claims that he had faced pressure to stop drug raids.
“I have not faced any pressure to stop drug raids. The pressure is to conduct even more raids,” he said.
He added that Police had observed that individuals who invested money in or assisted drug and criminal networks had become disturbed by the ongoing operations.
Commenting on his personal security, the IGP said he was confident that he could travel freely from one end of Sri Lanka to the other without difficulty.
However, he claimed that politicians who said they were facing threats may not have the same confidence because, according to him, they had told many lies.
“We are not like those who acted unfairly and destroyed society. Therefore, I am confident that I can travel freely from one end of the country to the other without any trouble,” the IGP said.
Central Province Deputy Inspector General of Police Sudath Masinghe and Kandy Division Senior Superintendent of Police Anuruddha Hakmana were also present on the occasion.
