121 MPs approve composition of Parliament Select Committee
Speaker Karu Jayasuriya informed the House that 121 MPs voted in favour of the composition of the Parliament Select Committee, while government MPs were absent during the vote.
A total of 116 members had voted electronically while another 4 MPs had voted by roll call due to technical issues.
Accordingly United People’s Freedom Alliance Parliamentarians Dinesh Gunewardene, SB Dissanayake, Nimal Siripala, Mahinda Samarasinghe and Wimal Weerawansa were appointed to the Committee.
MPs Lakshman Kiriella, Rauff Hakeem, Rishard Bathiudeen, Mano Ganesan and Patali Champika were appointed to the Select Committee from the United National Party while Tamil National Alliance MP Mavai Senathirajah and JVP MP Vijitha Herath comprise the Committee.
Meanwhile United People’s Freedom Alliance MPs refused to accept the Speaker’s appointment of the Parliament Select Committee.
Subsequently the United National Party and the JVP called for a vote by name on the matter.
The government members walked out of the Chamber as the Speaker announced the vote protesting over the allocation of members to the Select Committee.
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
Today, Although government’s MP walked out, government already has spent 277million rupees for this session. These all money belong to general public.
We can’t have a good parliament with the fox son of Boralugoda Lion !!.