30 Sri Lankan fishermen released from Tamil Nadu to reunite with families for Christmas
Thirty (30) Sri Lankan fishermen released by the Tamil Nadu State authorities were repatriated to Sri Lanka on Tuesday (23 December) enabling reunion with their families in time to celebrate Christmas. The Sri Lanka fishermen boarded SLNS Ranagaja at the International Maritime Boundary Line(IMBL) and arrive at the Kankasanturai harbour this evening.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa during his discussions in Kathmandu on the sidelines of the 18th SAARC Summit in November 2014, requested Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to facilitate the release of the Sri Lankan fishermen in custody in the States of Tamil Nadu and Andra Pradesh.
The release of fishermen reflects the keen desire of the two governments to continue consultation for expeditious action on the respective fishermen in custody, with a view to addressing this issue on a humanitarian basis. It also demonstrates the goodwill and understanding which exists bilaterally in addressing issues relating to fishermen of the two countries, and a manifestation of the warm and abiding relationship.
Sri Lanka authorities repatriated 66 Indian fishermen released from custody following their detention for poaching in Sri Lankan waters.
(Government News Portal)
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023