49 Indians arrested at factory in Matugama for visa violations
Posted in Local News
Seventy-three Indians have been arrested by the Sri Lankan authorities for violating visa norms this year, officials said on Saturday.
A total of 49 Indian nationals were arrested on Saturday from a factory in Matugama, the Immigration and Emigration Department officials said.
They were staying beyond the visa term, they added.
Last month, 24 Indians, who were employed in a factory at Ingiriya, were arrested for staying beyond their visa term, officials said.
Those arrested have been sent to the immigration detention centre in Mirihana, they added.
Officials said those arrested would be sent to India after completing necessary formalities.
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023