49 Indians arrested at factory in Matugama for visa violations
Seventy-three Indians have been arrested by the Sri Lankan authorities for violating visa norms this year, officials said on Saturday.
A total of 49 Indian nationals were arrested on Saturday from a factory in Matugama, the Immigration and Emigration Department officials said.
They were staying beyond the visa term, they added.
Last month, 24 Indians, who were employed in a factory at Ingiriya, were arrested for staying beyond their visa term, officials said.
Those arrested have been sent to the immigration detention centre in Mirihana, they added.
Officials said those arrested would be sent to India after completing necessary formalities.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023