Canada welcomes reinstatement of Sri Lankan Chief Justice
The Canadian Government today welcomed the reinstatement of Shirani Bandaranayake as Chief Justice of the Sri Lankan Supreme Court while also expressing hope that President Maithripala Sirisena fulfills the mandate given to him by the people to foster a transparent, responsive and pluralistic government.
“In January 2013, at the time of the Chief Justice’s impeachment, I expressed deep concern about the opaque and politicized nature of her impeachment, an action that severely undermined the legitimacy of the rule of law in Sri Lanka,” Canada’s Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said in a statement.
Dr. Shirani Bandaranayake on Friday retired from service, after the resumption of office the previous day as the Chief Justice.
While addressing the Ceremonial Sitting at the Hulftsdorp Court complex, Bandaranaike said that she greets Justice Kanagasabapathy J. Sripavan, the senior-most Judge of the Supreme Court, who was appointed as the new Chief Justice.
The Canadian foreign minister also welcomed the replacing of an ex-military officer with a civilian as governor in the war-torn Northern Province.
“We also welcome the recent appointment of a civilian, H.M.G.S. Palihakkara, to replace a retiring senior military commander as governor of the predominantly Tamil Northern Province.
“Following the successful elections earlier this month, it is our hope that President Maithripala Sirisena fulfills the mandate given to him by the people of Sri Lanka to foster a transparent, responsive and pluralistic government. Canada will continue to encourage progress in the devolution of power, accountability and genuine reconciliation.”
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
- Sri Lanka relaxes import restrictions on over 300 items June 10, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023