Dullas calls for immediate investigation on power failure
The Ceylon Electricity Board says Minister of Power Dullas Alahapperuma will appoint a committee to probe the on-going power outage while stating that the CEB will also conduct an investigation.
The country has been experiencing an island-wide power outage from 12.35 pm today (17) due to a transmission failure at the Kerawalapitiya Grid Substation.
The prevailing power outage has also resulted in disruption of the water supply to several areas in the country.
Meanwhile, severe traffic congestion is also reported along several roads in Colombo due to traffic lights not functioning as a result of the power failure.
Reportedly, outage of this nature was last reported in 2016 adding that the blackout was restored after seven hours at the time.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s Public Security Minister affirms continuation of operations despite pressure February 21, 2024
- Rear Admiral Pradeep Rathnayake appointed as Chief of Staff of Sri Lanka Navy February 21, 2024
- Ceylon Electricity Board to reduce electricity tariffs by nearly 20 percent February 21, 2024