Judge arrested on bribery charges further remanded
The Homagama District Court Judge Sunil Abeysinghe who was arrested on bribery charges was further remanded till June 10 by the Colombo Chief Magistrate. Abeysinghe was arrested by the Bribery Commission on May 30 while allegedly receiving a bribe of Rs. 300,000 from a person in Hanwella area.
The judge had reportedly accepted the bribe in order to give a favorable ruling in a case being taken up before him.
Lakshmi Jayawickrama, Director-General, Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIAOBC) stated that the arrest was made when the judge was accepting the bribe through his security officer.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023