Local government public service will be strengthened by recruiting qualified people
The Local Government Public Service should be strengthened by recruiting qualified people, Parliamentary Reforms and Mass Media Deputy Minister Karunaratne Paranavithana said in Parliament yesterday.
He was joining the committee stage debate of the Budget 2016 for the fifth allotted day under the financial heads of the Megapolice and Western Development Ministry and Social Empowerment and Welfare Ministry.
“There will be a massive transformation in the local government sector of the country by 2016. Electoral boundaries have been demarcated. A committee has been appointed to look into grievances. These activities will be completed prior to the local government election,” the Deputy Minister said.
He further said that amendments will be made to the Local Government Election Act to increase women representation.
(Government News Portal)
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s official reserve assets increase by 26.2% in May June 7, 2023
This Deputy Minister appears to be a dreamer.
Suggest fundamental reform of the Local Gov. system. Should enforce requirement that all candidates for councillors should be top honours degree holders with proven performance of least 4 years work experience.
The officials of Local Govt should also be minimum Hons Graduates and the core business of councils should be policy making and not delivery.
Delivery of Council obligations should be outsourced.
First of all, they should be corruption free. Honesty first and then the qualifications.