Over 2000 prisoners released on President’s pardon
Posted in Local News
More than 2000 prisoners were released on the President’s pardon in view of the National Prisoners’ Day which falls today (September 12), the Prisons Department stated.
Prisoners who were serving sentences for petty crimes and prisoners above the age of 70 years were pardoned.
The Prisons Department further stated that criminals who were serving sentences for offences such as murder, rape and drug-related crimes were not eligible for release under the President’s pardon.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s key inflation rate eases to 25.2% in May June 1, 2023
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023