Over 2000 prisoners released on President’s pardon
More than 2000 prisoners were released on the President’s pardon in view of the National Prisoners’ Day which falls today (September 12), the Prisons Department stated.
Prisoners who were serving sentences for petty crimes and prisoners above the age of 70 years were pardoned.
The Prisons Department further stated that criminals who were serving sentences for offences such as murder, rape and drug-related crimes were not eligible for release under the President’s pardon.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023