Prof. Carlo Fonseka appointed SLMC chairman
Professor Carlo Fonseka has been appointed as the chairman of the Sri Lanka Medical Council and is to assume office tomorrow (Jan 02).
It has been reported that the appointment was made by Health Minister Maithripala Sirisena and that Prof. Fonseka would assume duties at 10am tomorrow at the medical council office.
Prof. Fonseka is the current chairman of the National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol (NATA).
Several medical associations including the Government Medical Officers’ Association (GMOA) have contentiously expressed their concern over the appointment and have appealed to the President to reappoint Prof. Mendis.
The previous chairperson of the SLMC Prof. Lalitha Mendis, who served two terms, had handed in an early resignation letter to resign on January 1 citing personal issues.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023