Sri Lanka crushes India to advance to final
DAMBULLA, Sri Lanka (AP)—Sri Lanka crushed India by eight wickets on Sunday to secure its place in the final of the tri-series cricket tournament.
Sri Lanka dismissed India for 103 runs, with Thisara Perera claiming 5-28. The hosts easily reached 104-2 with 35 overs to spare.
India and New Zealand play Wednesday to decide the other finalist.
Tillakartne Dilshan and Mahela Jayawardene shared 79 runs for Sri Lanka’s opening wicket before seamer Ishant Sharma struck twice in consecutive balls. Dilshan made 35 and Jayawardene scored 33.
Captain Kumar Sangakkara (13) and Upul Tharanga (12) batted cautiously to take Sri Lanka to victory. Sharma finished with 2-15.
India earlier won the toss and chose to bat. Seam bowler Nuwan Kulasekara quickly claimed both openers—Virender Sehwag was lbw for 12 and Dinesh Karthik was caught behind by Kumar Sangakkara for nine. Television replays were not conclusive if Karthik had edged the ball.
All rounder Perera justified his recall with the important wickets of Suresh Raina (8) and Mahendra Singh Dhoni (10). He also dismissed Ravindra Jadeja, Praveen Kumar and Sharma to complete his first five-wicket haul in international cricket.
Yuvraj Singh, who returned to the side after recovering from dengue fever, top scored for India with 38, including five boundaries and a six. He appeared unlucky to be given out lbw to a ball from Lasith Malinga that looked to be heading past off stump.
Sri Lanka also recalled spinner Suraj Randiv after serving a one-match suspension for deliberately bowling a no-ball in the last match against India to deny Sehwag a century.
Spinners Ajantha Mendis and Rangana Herath were left out.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023