Sri Lanka decides not to pursue new IMF loan-cbank
Sri Lanka has decided not to pursue a new loan from the International Monetary Fund as the global lender has indicated it may not be in a position to consider budget support to country, the central bank said on Tuesday.
The central bank said the IMF had indicated that Sri Lanka does not warrant unconventional and exceptional financial support in light of recent improvements in its fiscal situation.
“Sri Lankan authorities have decided not to pursue a new programme with the IMF, but to continue maintaining the close relationship with the Fund under standard consultation processes similar to many other member countries,” the bank said. (Reuters)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023