Sri Lanka President meets PM Narendra Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi met visiting Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena at the Hyderabad House, this morning. Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj earlier called on the visiting dignitary.
Indian Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) official spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin earlier in the day said that both India and Sri Lanka are committed to take matters of civil nuclear cooperation forward.
“‘When India and Sri Lanka talk, we talk on all issues. There are issues of political and strategic nature that we are engaged in,”‘ Akbaruddin said while elaborating on the expected talks between the two sides.
“‘This is the first opportunity for the new leadership in Sri Lanka to engage with our leadership. So, we expect this opportunity to yield results in terms of clear directions in our bilateral ties as well as how India and Sri Lanka view taking this relationship forward,”‘ he added.
Akbaruddin further said that the discussion between NewDelhi and Colombo will include all elements, including issues relating to re-conciliation, the vision of Sri Lankan Government in this, as well as India’s approach to this.
“‘So, be ready for substantive talks and concrete outcomes which befit the close and friendly ties between India and Sri Lanka. We expect this visit to yield results in terms of clear direction in bilateral ties and how to take bilateral relations forward,”‘ he added.
The Sri Lankan President, who is presently on a four-day official trip to India, earlier received a ceremonial welcome at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
This is President Sirisena’s first overseas visit after assuming office.
(Ada Derana / Pix by AP)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023