Sri Lanka to issue $1.5 billion of development bonds in 2017
Sri Lanka’s Cabinet has approved the issuance of $1.5 billion worth of development bonds in 2017 to strengthen the government’s borrowing programme, an official said on Wednesday.
“The proposal made by Ravi Karunanayake, minister of finance, to issue Sri Lanka development bonds of 1,500 million dollars to strengthen the governments borrowing programme 2017 was approved by the cabinet of ministers,” cabinet spokesman Gayantha Karunatileka told reporters.
Sri Lanka’s economy is still recovering from a debt and balance-of-payments crisis last year, although an economic reform programme is in place as required by the International Monetary Fund when it extended a $1.5 billion, three-year loan.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023