TRCSL to ban use of unregistered mobile phones
Sri Lanka Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (TRCSL) has decided to ban the imported mobile phones that are not registered with the TRC.
TRC says modern equipment will be used to identify the unregistered mobile phones and remove them from use.
TRC Director General Anusha Palpita has said that all imported mobile phones should be registered and they are required to meet certain safety regulations.
The TRC will block the signals to the unregistered phones, he said.
TRC has taken steps to maintain a Central Equipment Identity Register and all the phones failing to register will be disabled by blocking the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) numbers.
However, the users of unregistered mobile phones at present will be granted a grace period to get them registered, a spokesman of the TRC said.
Source: Government News Portal
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
Always attack small people. We have loads of issues in the country whereby no mission or vision to the future. But doing things which other countries not even bother to do.
We Sri Lankans do not have to copy what “other countries” do or do not. We have to do what is good for us. I think it is a good idea to curb some corrupt business people trying to make Sri Lanka the dumping ground for illegal phone market.