TRCSL to ban use of unregistered mobile phones
Sri Lanka Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (TRCSL) has decided to ban the imported mobile phones that are not registered with the TRC.
TRC says modern equipment will be used to identify the unregistered mobile phones and remove them from use.
TRC Director General Anusha Palpita has said that all imported mobile phones should be registered and they are required to meet certain safety regulations.
The TRC will block the signals to the unregistered phones, he said.
TRC has taken steps to maintain a Central Equipment Identity Register and all the phones failing to register will be disabled by blocking the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) numbers.
However, the users of unregistered mobile phones at present will be granted a grace period to get them registered, a spokesman of the TRC said.
Source: Government News Portal
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023
- Sanath Nishantha to pay electric bills of SLPP low-income families October 4, 2023
- Chairman of CEYPETCO and CPSTL Uvais Mohamed resigns October 4, 2023