US says it had nothing to do with inflammatory video
The US Embassy in Colombo said it ‘had nothing to do with the recent inflammatory video that has offended many Muslims and others around the world’.
Issuing a statement the embassy said:
“The US embassy wishes to reiterate the expressions issued by Secretary Clinton and President Obama regarding the recent inflammatory video that has offended many Muslims and others around the world. It should be noted that the United States strongly rejects both its contents and messages, and had nothing to do with the video. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.
As a multi-ethnic and multi-religious society, the United States believes that religious tolerance is essential to the stability of any nation and of any people. Among the fundamental rights we also hold closely is the right to peacefully protest. As Secretary Clinton has said, “we also fully reject hatred and violence in the name of religion.”
The embassy wishes to thank officials, religious leaders, and community leaders in both Sri Lanka and Maldives for the many expressions of sympathy and condolences over the losses of our colleagues in Libya and for their calls for calm and restraint.”
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023