Will appeal in Supreme Court: Mahinda Rajapaksa
Former Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa said that they do not agree with the interim order which was issued by Court of Appeal today and that they would file an appeal before Supreme Court against the order by tomorrow.
The Court of Appeal today issued an interim order preventing Mahinda Rajapaksa and his cabinet from holding office.
This was after the court decided to proceed with hearing a Writ of Quo Warranto petition signed by 122 legislators that challenges Rajapaksa’s authority to hold office after he lost two no-confidence votes last month.
The judge issued the interim order against Rajapaksa and his cabinet, and asked them to appear in court on Dec. 12 to explain on what basis they hold office.
However, issuing a press release today, Mahinda Rajapaksa said that they do not agree with the interim order issued by the Court of Appeal.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023