700kg of ganja meant to be smuggled to Sri Lanka seized
India’s Q Branch police seized around 700kg of ganja, worth millions of rupees, from three men near Mannargudi in Tiruvarur district of Tamil Nadu in the early hours of Sunday. The cannabis was to be smuggled to Sri Lanka through the sea route.
The police arrested three men, identified as V Senthilkumar and S Saravanan of Coimbatore and M Arivendhan of Madurai, in connection with this. They seized a tourist bus in which the accused were travelling.
On a tip-off that a gang was in the process of smuggling a large quantity of ganja to Sri Lanka, a Q Branch police team from Nagapattinam, headed by inspector Arun Prasad, conducted a vehicle check at Vaduvur checkpost near Mannargudi.
The team stopped a tourist bus and found only three men, including the driver, in it. The police checked the bus and found more than 100 gunny bags containing ganja. -Agencies
(Source: Times of India)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023