700kg of ganja meant to be smuggled to Sri Lanka seized
India’s Q Branch police seized around 700kg of ganja, worth millions of rupees, from three men near Mannargudi in Tiruvarur district of Tamil Nadu in the early hours of Sunday. The cannabis was to be smuggled to Sri Lanka through the sea route.
The police arrested three men, identified as V Senthilkumar and S Saravanan of Coimbatore and M Arivendhan of Madurai, in connection with this. They seized a tourist bus in which the accused were travelling.
On a tip-off that a gang was in the process of smuggling a large quantity of ganja to Sri Lanka, a Q Branch police team from Nagapattinam, headed by inspector Arun Prasad, conducted a vehicle check at Vaduvur checkpost near Mannargudi.
The team stopped a tourist bus and found only three men, including the driver, in it. The police checked the bus and found more than 100 gunny bags containing ganja. -Agencies
(Source: Times of India)
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023