April 05 declared National Cinema Day
Sri Lanka commemorated its National Cinema Day on Friday after the government designated April 5 as the day in tribute to late veteran film director Lester James Peries, the government information department said.
According to Minister of Housing, Construction and Cultural Affairs Sajith Premadasa, the government had issued a special notification stating that April 5 would now be celebrated as the National Cinema Day to remember the work of Peries.
The National Film Corporation will show films directed by Peries over the next few days.
International award-winning director and film producer, Peries was considered the father of Sri Lankan cinema, having made award-winning movies, short films, and documentaries.
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023