Basil Rajapaksa arrested
Former Minister of Economic Development and UPFA MP Basil Rajapaksa has been arrested a short while ago over allegations of financial fraud, sources said.
He went onto note that the B report is being compiled by the police adding that the former minister is due to be produced before the Kaduwela Magistrate along with two other persons.
Basil Rajapaksa appeared before the Financial Crimes Division on Wednesday (April 22nd) morning to provide a statement.
Ex- Minister was questioned by the Police Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID) for over 10 hours today (22).
Basil Rajapaksa left the country soon after the presidential elections held in January and returned to the country on Tuesday (April 21st).
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s Public Security Minister affirms continuation of operations despite pressure February 21, 2024
- Rear Admiral Pradeep Rathnayake appointed as Chief of Staff of Sri Lanka Navy February 21, 2024
- Ceylon Electricity Board to reduce electricity tariffs by nearly 20 percent February 21, 2024