Cameron met with Tamil organizations in UK before attending CHOGM
British Prime Minister David Cameron met with a host of representatives of Tamil organizations in the UK before attending the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Sri Lanka last year, it has been revealed.
A question was raised in British parliament on which United Kingdom Tamil organisations were invited by the Prime Minister to attend a meeting at Number 10 Downing Street on 7 November 2013; and which organisations attended.
The Senior Minister of State, Department for Communities and Local Government & Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Baroness Warsi stated that representatives of the following groups were invited to a meeting at Number 10 Downing Street on 7 November 2013: Global Tamil Forum, British Tamils Forum, British Tamil Conservatives, Tamils for Labour, Tamil Information Centre, Tamils Against Genocide, and Ilankai Tamil Arasu Katchi (UK Branch). All of the invited groups attended the meeting.
“In addition to meeting these groups to discuss their concerns relating to attendance at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM), and before visiting Sri Lanka to attend CHOGM, my right hon. Friends the Prime Minister, the Foreign Secretary and the Minister of State, (Hugo Swire) met with a range of interlocutors, including the Sri Lankan High Commissioner, Non-Governmental Organisations, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, the Conservative Friends of Sri Lanka, and Parliamentarians including from the All Party Parliamentary Groups for Tamils and on Sri Lanka, my noble Friend included”, he added.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023