Heart Walk marks World Heart Day
A ‘Heart Walk’ and several other events were held under President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s patronage yesterday to mark World Heart Day. The events, jointly organised by the Presidential Secretariat and the Sri Lanka Heart Association (SLHA), began with the ‘Heart Walk’ yesterday morning from the Presidential Secretariat to Temple Trees.
Schoolchildren, Tri Forces personnel, private and state hospital workers, sportsmen and women and artistes participated. President Rajapaksa and First Lady Shiranthi Rajapaksa led the walk. Sub Lieutenant of the Sri Lanka Navy Yoshitha Rajapaksa and Health Ministry Secretary Dr Nihal Jayatilleke also participated. A function was later held at Temple Trees where Sri Lanka Heart Association chairman Dr Vajira Senaratne spoke on the implications and new trends in heart diseases and the importance and ways of preventing them. At this programme, a theme song for Heart Day was sung by a group of artistes. A CD containing the song was presented to the President.
President Rajapaksa also unveiled various awareness raising activities organised by the Heart Association to control the disease. Dramas portraying the harms of the disease and exercise programmes which would help to minimise heart ailments too were held.
Courtesy: Daily News
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s official reserve assets increase by 26.2% in May June 7, 2023