I hope to serve the country more in future – Maithripala
General Secretary of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) Maithripala Sirisena today said that after serving as the Minister of Health for a period of 5 years, he now looks forward to serving the country with greater commitment in the future.
The Minister made these comments while addressing a ceremony at the Jana Kala Kendraya in Battaramulla this morning.
Speculation has been rife that Sirisena, one of the most senior members of the SLFP, is likely to leave the ruling party and contest as the Common Opposition Candidate at the next Presidential Election to be held in January 2015.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa yesterday (20) signed the proclamation declaring his intention to hold a Presidential Election seeking another term.
The Election Commissioner Mahinda Deshapriya said he has received the proclamation of the President.
The Central Committee of SLFP on Wednesday (19) unanimously decided to nominate the party leader, President Rajapaksa, as its candidate for the forthcoming Presidential election
A source close to the government said that nominations could be called in December first week and the poll was likely to take place either on 3 or 7 January.
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023