ICC ‘regrets’ Hindi intro
The ICC while expressing regret over the playing of a Hindi song during the introduction of the Lankan team at the opening ceremony of the ongoing Champions Trophy tournament in England, said that it would take the up the issue with the event management company responsible for handling the opening ceremony.
Sri Lanka Cricket said that the International Cricket Council Tournament Director Chris Tetley has written to SLC regretting the incident, in response to concerns raised by Sri Lanka Cricket secrearty Nishantha Ranathunga in a letter sent to the ICC Chief Executive Officer.
Following is the full statement by Sri Lanka Cricket
This is with reference to the Hindi song which was played while the Sri Lankan National Flag was paraded onto the field, at the opening ceremony of the ongoing ICC Champions Trophy in England. As concerns raised by the Secretary of Sri Lanka Cricket, Mr. Nishantha Ranatunga to the ICC regarding the above matter, The International Cricket Council Tournament Director Chris Tetley has written to SLC regretting the incident. He further stated that the ICC will take this matter for discussion with the Event Management Company who were entrusted to handle the opening ceremony.
(Courtesy: DM Online)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023