India back as top Sri Lanka inbound tourism market
India regained the top inbound market for Sri Lanka’s tourism market after six months as about 20,000 Indian tourists arrived in the island nation in April 2023.
Tourism Authority figures showed that 19,915 Indians had visited the island in April over 14,656 Russian tourist arrivals.
Russians remained the top inbound market from October 2022 to March 2023.
India enjoyed a 19 percent market share in April followed by 14 percent from Russia and 8 percent from the United Kingdom.
In April, the arrivals topped 100,000 for the fourth consecutive time since 2019.
Tourist arrivals to the island had slumped since the 2019 Easter Sunday bombings that left 270 persons, including 11 Indians, dead and over 500 injured.
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023