Life imprisonment for elephant killers
The government had decided to amend Fauna and Flora Protection Ordinance to implement life imprisonment for those found guilty of killing wild elephants.
The cabinet paper submitted by Sustainable Development and Wildlife Minister Gamini Jayawickrama Perera had proposed to conduct combined operations by Wildlife Officers, Police Officers, and Armed Forces to protect Wild Elephants and Wildlife Resources in Sri Lanka.
A Combined Task Force comprised of Wildlife Conservation Department, Police Special Task Force, and Armed Forces would be established for this purpose.
It was also decided to obtain help of Forest Conservation Department and Sri Lanka Mahaweli Authority on this matter.
(Source: Daily Mirror)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Parliament approves VAT (amendment) Bill December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023