Maithri’s father arrested over shooting at protest
Herman Gunaratne, the father of Southern Provincial Council member Maithri Gunaratne, has been arrested over the alleged shooting incident which occurred at a protest march in Matara today, police said.
UNP Southern Provincial Council member Krishantha Pushpakumara was admitted to the Karapitiya Hospital with gunshot injuries sustained in the shooting during a protest demanding the removal of the UNP leader.
The Provincial Councilor has been shot in the leg and has been admitted to the ICU of the Karapitiya Hospital, Ada Derana reporter said.
A tense situation was reported near the Matara Town following a clash between UNP supporters during the protest march demanding that Opposition Leader Ranil Wickramasinghe step down from party leadership.
At least seven persons have been reported injured, one critically, following a shooting incident during the protest.
The protest against Wickramasinghe, led by Provincial Councilors Maithri Gunaratne and Shiral Lakthilaka – who were both sacked from the party, commenced from Devinuwara in Matara this morning and is heading towards Colombo.
Meanwhile a demonstration led by MP Mangala Samaraweera in support of the UNP leader began from Wellamadama today.
It is reported that the clash occurred as both demonstrations neared the Matara Town and that shots were fired during the tense situation.
The Matara Hospital confirmed that 7 persons have been admitted to the hospital with injuries sustained in the clash and that one of them is in critical condition.
It is said that a clash between both factions had previously occurred this morning in the Dewundara area and that a bus was also damaged after it was attacked by a group of supporters.
However, the situation has been brought under control due to the intervention of security personnel.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023