Matara MP Nipuna Ranawaka says no new constructions at Sinharaja
Matara district MP and Chairman Matara District development committee, Nipuna Ranawaka, addressing a press conference in Matara said that not a single new construction has been done at the Sinharaja World Heritage area and that what was being done was to widen an existing road.
He however noted that those engaged in widening the road had not obtained permission for the task from the Central Environmental Authority (CEA). “That was why the President has halted the project. The President said he would obtain a report regarding it and decide whether to allow the construction work or not,” the MP said.
Ranawaka added that he had spoken with the Chairman of the CEA regarding the issue. The MP also denied allegations that the road was being constructed to provide transport to a hotel in the area.
(Source: The Island)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023