MP Ali Sabri Raheem arrested with gold at BIA
Parliamentarian Ali Sabri Raheem has been arrested at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) in Katunayake along with a stock of gold this morning (May 23).
Ali Sabri Raheem who is Puttalam District MP of All Ceylon Makkal Congress, had returned to Sri Lanka from Dubai, UAE at around 9:45 AM today (May 23) via a Flydubai flight.
Upon checking his luggage by the Customs officials on duty at the airport, 3.39kg of undeclared gold jewellery and gold biscuits worth LKR 74 million were found in the possession of the parliamentarian Ali Sabri Raheem, who was returning to Sri Lanka from Dubai.
In addition, a total of 91 mobile phones worth around LKR 4.2 million were also found in his luggage.
The arrest was made based on a tip-off received by the Revenue Task Force (RTF) Directorate which operates under the direct supervision of the Director General of Customs.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023