MP Dilip Wedaarachchi’s son and daughter-in-law arrested
Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) MP Dilip Wedaarachchi’s son, former Chairman of the Tangalle Urban Council Ravindu Wedaarachchi and his wife Nethmi Harindika Silva have been arrested in connection with obstructing duties of a police officer and alleged attempt of assault.
They have been arrested after surrendering to the Weeraketiya Police and are to be produced before Walasmulla Magistrate’s Court, police said.
Ravindu Wedaarachchi and his wife Nethmi Harindika Silva have been arrested in connection with a recent incident at the Bedigama entrance to the Southern Expressway.
A video of the incident had been widely circulated on social media recently, and the mobile phone footage shows the MP’s son and daughter-in-law engaged in a heated argument with one or more police officers while also using abusive language.
However, MP Wedaarachchi yesterday defended his son and daughter-in-law while also accusing a police officer of assaulting his son. However, the parliamentarian had assured that they both would appear before the police today (June 06).
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023