Navy arrests nine more Indian fishermen
Posted in Local News
The Sri Lankan navy on Wednesday apprehended nine Tamil Nadu fishermen and their boat on charges of trespassing into the territorial waters of the island nation, marine police sources at Mandapam in India has said.
The fishermen, who set sail from Nagapattinam, were taken to Kankesanthurai in Sri Lanka and handed over to the fisheries department. They would be produced before a court, said U Arulanandam of the Alliance for Release of Innocent Fishermen.
With the latest arrests, the number of Indian fishermen in the custody of Sri Lanka has risen to 87. (TOI)
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s official reserve assets increase by 26.2% in May June 7, 2023