Nawagattegama teacher’s spouse complains of threats
The husband of the Navodya Maha Vidyalaya teacher — who was allegedly asked to kneel in the presence of former provincial councillor Ananda Sarath Kumara — had in a police complaint said Mr. Kumara had threatened him and his wife.
Teacher Priyani Ratnayake’s husband said they were being repeatedly threatened by the former PC member.
Mr. Kumara was arrested by the Nawagattegama police on June 15 and remanded by the Puttalam Acting Magistrate when he was produced in court over charges of having forced the teacher to kneel in presence of teaching staff and students on June 14.
He was granted bail by the Anamaduwa District Judge Ranga Disanayaka when the case was taken up on July 11.
The former PC member is reported to have applied for nomination for the upcoming elections to the North-Western Provincial Council.
Meanwhile the teachers unions had threatened to boycott election duties if his nomination was accepted.
According to the complaint, the former PC member had threatened the complainant and his wife in a speech made by him at a recent meeting held close-by.
The All Ceylon Principals’ Union has also planned to hold a demonstration outside the Anamaduwa District Court tomorrow when the case is taken up for hearing.
(Courtesy: DM Online)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023