Notice on ousted. CJ Shirani Bandaranayake
Posted in Local News
Notice has been issued on ousted Chief Justic Shirani Bandaranayake to appear before the Colombo Magistrate Court on September 16 over non declaration of assets.
The notice was issued following a case filed by the Bribery and Corruption Commission against the former CJ for not declaring assets in her bank accounts.
(Courtesy: DM Online)
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
The accumulation of illegal wealth by the Bandaranayake family was common knowledge. The former CJ’s husband was appointed head of a State institution whilst she was in office.
This was a significant conflict of interest. Furthermore, the CJ’s husband is alleged to have indulged in unethical business transactions whilst he awas in that position.
In the PSC that investigated the former CJ’s conduct, there was solid evidence of unethical and perhaps, corrupt behaviour on her part.
I am encouraged to note the Authorities pursuing justice in this instance where the holder of a high public office has betrayed our motherland and its people.