Person caught in bribing attempt to bail out NTJ suspect
A person has been arrested over an attempt to bribe the Horowpathana Police OIC to obtain bail for a suspect of the National Thowheed Jamaath (NTJ) who is under custody.
Bribery Commission Director (Investigation) SSP Priyantha Chandrasiri said the suspect was arrested while attempting to a bribe of Rs. 250,000 to the OIC at his office.
NTJ member Abdul Majeed Mohamed Niyaz is currently under police custody over the Easter Day attack on the Shangri-La hotel.
Reportedly, a 26-year-old Mohamed Shifan who is suspected to be a close accomplice of Niyaz had agreed to give the Horowpothana OIC a bribe of Rs 500,000 to release the detainee.
The suspect was caught red handed while hading over an advance of Rs. 250,000.
The suspect was identified as a resident of Horowpathana.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023