Police baton charge protesters in Puttalam
Riot Police on Friday resorted to baton-charge to disperse protesters demonstrating in Puttalam against the proposed sanitary landfill site in Aruwakkalu.
The people were protesting against the project saying that a drain has been excavated to release waste to the lagoon.
The Megapolis and the Western Development Ministry introduced the ‘Metro Colombo Solid Waste Management Project’ (MCSWMP) through which it intends to carry out ‘Sanitary Land Fills’ with Korean technology as a safe and sustainable solution to the solid waste disposal to the entire country.
The protesters had demanded an opportunity to meet with President Maithripala Sirisena, who is reportedly visiting the Puttalam area today, and had engaged in the demonstration since early this morning (22).
They had sought a discussion with the President on the landfill site to be built at Aruwakkalu.
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023
- Bruno Divakara arrested May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
Baton charges against protesters! I am sure they are Sinhala Protesters!
Of course Amarakoon, they are Sinhala Buddhist protesttors.
The Muslims in Puttalam are busy clearing Wilpattu and building settlements, roads and industrical zones.
Only the idle Sinhala Buddhists are throwing stones at innocent Policemen.