President calls for unconditional cooperation in urgent disaster response
Sri Lanka expressed condolences on the tragic loss of life and destruction of property caused by the devastating earthquake in the Hindukush region of Afghanistan on Monday which also affected parts of India and Pakistan.
President Maithripala Sirisena, in his twitter account on Monday stated that the tragedy in Pakistan and Afghanistan calls for regional unity and unconditional cooperation for immediate disaster response.
The Foreign Ministry of Sri Lanka states Sri Lanka stands in support and solidarity with the Governments and those affected in Afghanistan, India and Pakistan and wishes to convey deep condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in this catastrophic disaster, and to those injured a speedy recovery.
The statement of Foreign Ministry further states that the thoughts and prayers of the people of Sri Lanka are with those have been affected and it is Sri Lanka’s hope that they will have the strength and courage to overcome the difficult challenges.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Bondholder Lawsuit Should Be Put on Hold, U.S. Says October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023