President Mahinda Rajapaksa visits Jaffna Nallur Kovil
Source: Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma – Photos By Sudath Silva
President Mahinda Rajapaksa visited Jaffna for his political campaign in the north of Sri Lanka today, 10th January. He visited Nallur Kovil for Hindu religious observances. He was blessed according to the Hindu traditions by the chief priest of the kovil. The President was seen in bare top, which is a very rare sight in public. EPDP leader and the Minister Douglus Devananda, many politicians, Security personal and large number of devotees and supporters gathered at the ceremony.
At present Jaffna town is very busy with Presidential election campaigns and a few days earlier the oppositions common candidate General Sarath Fonseka also visited the same Hindu Temple, the ancient Nallur Kovil with supporters for Hindu religious activities during his visit to the area.
People of Jaffna warmly welcomed the President and thanked him for bringing the much needed peace in the country. security of the area has been tightened up for the President’s visit and large crowds gathered along the roads to have a glimpse of President Rajapaksa. He is scheduled to address a public rally at Alfred Duraiappa Grounds in Jaffna this afternoon.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023