President seeks Cabinet approval for PC polls before May 31
President Maithripala Sirisena yesterday submitted a Cabinet memorandum seeking approval to conduct elections to the nine provincial councils on a single day before May 31 this year.
However, the Cabinet deferred the memorandum till next week and it would be taken up for consideration by Local Government and Provincial Council Minister Vajira Abeywardane.
In the memorandum, the President proposed that elections be held under proportional representation system and allocate 25 per cent of slots in the nomination lists to women candidates.
The elections to six provincial councils are long overdue. The term of office of the Western and Southern Provincial Councils are to end by April this year while that of the Uva Provincial Council will end in September.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Kelum Bandara)
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
Of course, the Pohottuwa will sweep all provinces except North, East, Western and perhaps, Central.
The SLFP will be decimated.
The UNP and its allies will gain a country-wide majority vote.