President visits sacred Somawathi temple
Posted in Local News
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa visited sacred Somawathi temple premises yesterday (May 30) to engage in religious observances seeking blessing for both citizens and the country.
The President paid homage to the Chief Incumbent Ven. Pahamune Sri Sumangala Thero in order to obtain blessings.
Consequently, President Rajapaksa took part in the Kapruka offerings to Somawathi stupa.
In most extreme weather conditions, Somawathi sacred ground is subjected to flooding. To resolve the issue of mobility during flood season, Army constructed a helipad upon request by the Chief Incumbent of the Vihara. It was declared open by the President during this visit.
- MP Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam arrested in Colombo June 7, 2023
- Yohani de Silva gets ‘Golden Visa’ from Dubai June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka-born woman in UK becomes youngest ever non-white Crown Court judge June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023