Renewed interest in pre-paid card system for private buses
The Ministry of Private Transport Services is hoping to introduce a pre-paid card system for private buses in order to avoid inconveniences face by the passengers.
Minister of Private Transport Services, C.B. Ratnayake, had instructed ministry officials to implement the proposal. Earlier, orders were given to the National Transport Commission (NTC) one and half years ago to implement a pre-paid card system, but they had not implemented the proposal.
Minister Ratnayake will present the proposal to the Cabinet soon. This proposal will be implemented together with Mobitel (Pvt) Ltd and the People’s Bank.
Earlier, Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association (LPBOA), together with the Western Province Road and Passenger Transport Authority (WPRPTA) and People’s Bank implemented a pre-paid card for one bus route in the Western Province. However, it was not successful as expected.
(Courtesy: Ceylon Today)
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023