Renewed interest in pre-paid card system for private buses
The Ministry of Private Transport Services is hoping to introduce a pre-paid card system for private buses in order to avoid inconveniences face by the passengers.
Minister of Private Transport Services, C.B. Ratnayake, had instructed ministry officials to implement the proposal. Earlier, orders were given to the National Transport Commission (NTC) one and half years ago to implement a pre-paid card system, but they had not implemented the proposal.
Minister Ratnayake will present the proposal to the Cabinet soon. This proposal will be implemented together with Mobitel (Pvt) Ltd and the People’s Bank.
Earlier, Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association (LPBOA), together with the Western Province Road and Passenger Transport Authority (WPRPTA) and People’s Bank implemented a pre-paid card for one bus route in the Western Province. However, it was not successful as expected.
(Courtesy: Ceylon Today)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023