Roshan Mahanama Primary School opens in Vavuniya
Former world-class cricketer Roshan Mahanama, at the request of the Army, sponsored the establishment of a new school in Weherathenna village in Vavuniya district.
The primary school named ‘Roshan Mahanama Primary School’ has been built at a cost of about Rs. 3 million and the engineering and labour assistance was provided by the 26 Sri Lanka Sinha Regiment (SLSR) troops of the 62 Division commanded by Major General B. H. M. A. Wijesinghe.
The eight-month long project consists of 5 classrooms and fulfills a long-felt need of Weherathenna villagers, who did not have a primary school nearby.
The opening ceremony of the school took place last week, with the participation of Roshan Mahanama, Major General Ruwan Kulatunga, Major General B.H.M.A Wijesinghe, Colonel Prasanna Gunarathne, Brigade Commander, and Director of Zonal Education.
The new school enrolled 44 students on the day of opening and facilitates the conduct of classes from grade 1 – 5.
During the ceremony, each student received a gift parcel including School bags, two sets of uniforms, shoes and other accessories to the value of Rs. 5,000/=.
In addition sports items to the school as well as gift parcels to the teachers were awarded by Roshan Mahanama and other guests.
(Source: Daily News)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023